Colorado Divorce Navigator: STEP 3

Colorado Divorce Navigator – Step 3, Hello Divorce

Welcome to Step 3!

You’re almost finished with your divorce. Before starting this step, you and your spouse should be in full agreement. If you’re unable to agree on all issues, please see the FAQ below.

FIRST: Complete your Divorce Decree

The Decree of Dissolution of Marriage sounds scary, but is actually an easy questionnaire that, once filled out, produces the form that the judge will sign to finalize your divorce.

NEXT: Separation Agreement & Parenting Plan

This questionnaire works through
 various agreements about support, property and debt.
 If you don’t have children, you will not be asked questions about a parenting plan.

FINALLY: Calculate Spousal & Child Support

This determines how much support you’ll pay after divorce. Calculating support is mandatory if you have kids under 19 or still in high school, or adult disabled children.


Petition & Response


Financial Disclosures


Agreements & Decree


Divorce Wrap Up

Final Decree, Support, Agreement, and Parenting Plan FAQ

  • What if my spouse and I don't have a complete divorce agreement?

    If you are likely to reach an agreement and just need some help, we offer hourly attorney and mediation services. This resource is a checklist for all issues that must be decided.

    If you are unable to reach an agreement, your spouse has the option to complete Step 3, as well. Then, in a contested hearing, the court will decide these issues for you. Note, the court may ask you for additional evidence, or “proof” to support your positions.

  • I thought I was almost done. Why do I have to fill out all these questionnaires?

    This is the part of your divorce where you and your spouse need to work towards an agreement on all issues. (Think: property, support, debt and shared parenting). If you need help, no worries! We’ve got loads of resources to help you.

    We also offer mediation through Hello Divorce. Learn more here.

  • Do I have to go to court?

    If you and your spouse are having trouble finalizing a stipulation (agreement),
 the court will likely schedule you for mediation and a court hearing (if mediation 
isn’t successful). Learn about what to expect in mediation and how to prepare for these court appearances.

  • What do I need to do during this step?

    You or your spouse will be completing 3 online questionnaires. We’ve broken this step into stages so you can take it one step at a time. Each interview should take about 30 minutes (max). If you or your spouse have completed the Parenting Plan Worksheet or HD Worksheet, now is a good time to have them close by to help you complete this step.

  • What's the Final Decree of Divorce?

    A final decree of divorce is the court’s formal order granting a termination of a marriage. The decree is confirmed when it is signed and dated by the judge.

  • What's the Separation Agreement?

    The Separation Agreement includes your agreements on all divorce related issues.
 As you work through the online interview, you will be asked questions about your various agreements (kids, support, property, and debt).
 If you don’t have children, you will not be asked questions about a parenting plan.

  • Do I have to fill out the Child Support Worksheet?

    The Child Support Worksheet is mandatory for parents who have children who are under 19 or still in high school or adult disabled children. That being said, you and your spouse can still agree to a different amount (subject to court approval).

  • How do I know if I should do Worksheet A or Worksheet B in the Child Support section?

    Note: Worksheet A is used when one parent has the kids 273 or more overnights per year. Worksheet B is used if both parents have the kids for more than 92 overnights per year.


  • What do I need to do if I want to change my name during or after the divorce?

    If you just started the divorce process, the best way to indicate that you want your former name restored is by making sure you check the box on your petition for divorce (JDF 1101) and provide your previous name. If you are responding to a petition for divorce (JDF 1103), you need to provide your previous name.

    If your divorce is already finalized and you did not indicate your desire to restore your name in your petition or your response forms, don’t worry because there is still a way for you to have your former name restored.

    File JDF 1824 in the court where your decree for dissolution of marriage/civil union or legal separation was entered. This can be done at any time after the decree was entered in your case. Additionally, you need to file JDF 1825 along with it. You only need to fill out the caption box on JDF 1825, the court will fill out the rest of the form for you. If you encounter any difficulty with filling out these forms, Colorado Name Change offers a similar service to Hello Divorce, but with name change forms in Colorado.

    For more information, check out this resource.

  • What if my address changed while my divorce process was going on?

    If you changed your address during the divorce process, you need to file an address change form with the court.

  • What if I can’t fill out all the information in the final decree questionnaire?

    Be sure not to leave blanks in the questions that will create the final decree of divorce that you are presenting to the court. At this stage, any forms  you need a judge to sign must be complete.

  • When will my divorce be considered final?

    Your divorce is considered final as soon as the judge signs and dates the final decree of divorce. Make sure either you or the court provides a copy of the court orders to your ex-spouse.

  • Do I need a lawyer to review my final decree?

    Have we mentioned it’s a really good idea to have a lawyer review your divorce forms before you submit them to the court? The terms in your divorce judgment can have a profound impact on your future and, if you are anything like us — you want to move past this point in your life and start fresh — transition to a new, healthier, mindful space.

Schedule your free 15-minute intro callCLICK HERE