How Do I File for Divorce if I’m Representing Myself?

In pro per, pro se party, in propria person, they all describe you – the self-represented litigant. First, you will need to figure out where you can file. If you are filing for a divorce, at least one of the parties has to have been a California resident for at least six months, and lived in the county where the case will be filed for the last three months. If your spouse is a California resident, but you are a New Yorker, you can still file in a California county provided your spouse has been there for the requisite time periods. If your family case involves children that do not live with you primarily, then the court will usually look to see where the child has lived continuously for the six months prior to filing – that will likely determine where the case should be filed (or in legal talk, the county with proper jurisdiction).

Sign up for a free Hello Divorce membership to learn about your next steps in the divorce process when representing yourself.

Join to continue reading.

Starter Membership is free.

LoginSign Up

Learn more about our membership options.

Pin It on Pinterest