You have separated from your spouse. Life is tough and feels a bit messy. You are looking for good resources anywhere you can find it so that you can lower the tension, mend your heart, build a positive co-parenting relationship, protect your future and supercharge your self-growth.
- Do try a support group.
- Do consider hiring a divorce coach to help you navigate your emotions and the divorce process.
- Do consult a lawyer if you have a complex case or a nasty ex.
- Do try mediation if you haven’t resolved your divorce-related issues but both of you want to remain amicable.
- Do think about co-parenting counseling if you can’t seem to get on the same (parenting) page.
- Do ask an attorney about the possibility of a child custody evaluation, minor’s counsel or special master in your contested custody case.
- Do focus on the needs of your child instead of revenge on your ex.
- Do read books that help you focus on your child’s needs during this seriously conflicted, scary and/or frustrating time.
Don’t turn to books like “Hit Him Where it Hurts” or “How to Outsmart Your Wife.” Judges can see through that behavior and family law is all about good faith.
What are some helpful reads?
- How to Avoid the Divorce From Hell: (and dance together at your daughters wedding)
- Janet Johnston’s “Through the Eyes of Children” or “A Safe Place to Grow”
- Leave a Cheater, Gain a Life
- A Kids Book About Divorce (use code HDBOOKS for $5 off your purchase)
- Our Happy Divorce
- Negotiate Like You M.A.T.T.E.R: The Sure Fire Method to Step Up and Win
- The African American Guide to Divorce & Drama
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck
- Better Apart
- Storms Can’t Hurt the Sky: A Buddhist Path Through Divorce
- Mindful Coparenting
- The Kickass Single Mom: Be Financially Independent, Discover Your Sexiest Self, and Raise Fabulous, Happy Children
- Divorce Is Not the End of the World: Zoe’s and Evan’s Coping Guide for Kids
- Splitting: Protecting Yourself While Divorcing Someone with Borderline or Narcissistic Personality Disorder
- The High-Conflict Custody Battle: Protect Yourself and Your Kids from a Toxic Divorce, False Accusations, and Parental Alienation
- Talking to Children About Divorce: A Parent’s Guide to Communication at Every Stage of Divorce
- Joint Custody with a Jerk: Raising a Child with an Uncooperative Ex- A Hands-on, Practical Guide to Communicating with a Difficult Ex-Spouse
- LGBTQ Divorce & Relationship Dissolution
- The Truth About Children and Divorce: Dealing with the Emotions So You and Your Children Can Thrive
- Divorce Poison: How to Protect Your Family from Bad-mouthing and Brainwashing
- Childhood Disrupted: How Your Biography Becomes Your Biology, and How You Can Heal
- Home Will Never Be the Same Again: A Guide for Adult Children of Gray Divorce
Did we miss any books that you have found particularly helpful? Do you have any recommendations for books that specifically address issues unique to the LGBTQ community or are written by a POC? Let us know below!