Summary Dissolution :
Summary Dissolution: the easiest way to divorce in California – if you qualify
Do you qualify for a Summary Dissolution?
To qualify for Summary Dissolution, you must satisfy all of the following:
- Have been married for less than 5 years (from the date you got married to the date you separated)
- Have no children together born or adopted before or during the marriage (and you are not expecting a new child now)
- Do not own any part of land or buildings
- Do not rent any land or buildings (except for where you now live with limited exceptions)
- Do not owe more than $6,000 for debts acquired since the date you got married (referred to as “community obligations”)*
- Have less than $47,000 worth of property acquired since the date you got married (called “community property”)*
- Do not have separate property worth more than $47,000
- Agree that neither spouse will ever get spousal support
- Have signed an agreement that divides your property and debts
*There may be some exceptions
How is a summary dissolution different from divorce?
During a Standard Dissolution (or divorce), a judge looks over a couple's paperwork and makes rulings regarding the outcome. At the end of that period, either part of the couple could appeal the ruling and challenge the outcome. A Summary Dissolution is different.
During a Summary Dissolution, both parties fill out paperwork jointly. Spouses settle on the terms of the divorce, and they sign paperwork to that effect.
At the end of the Summary Dissolution process, there is no trial or hearing. Instead, couples file paperwork, and the process is complete. Summary Dissolution requires that a couple has minimal sources of conflict in general, such as lots of valuable assets to divide or complicated scenarios involving children that do require more negotiating.
A Summary Dissolution with Hello Divorce costs only $1,500 (for both of you).
Benefits and limitations of a Summary Dissolution
- Usually cheaper, faster and easier than a traditional divorce.
- Less paperwork – When you file for traditional divorce in California, you must submit a series of documents. But when you file for Summary Dissolution in California, the paperwork burden is considerably less.
- Couples can't appeal a Summary Dissolution in most cases. It's critical to work closely with your spouse and fight for the terms you want and achieve a fair settlement agreement.
- While many couples may want to use a Summary Dissolution to end their marriage, it's not available to all couples. See the requirements here.
Read some of our blogs about summary dissolution in California
Learn more about the Summary Dissolution process in California, and how it differs from divorce, annulment or legal separation.
- Our complete guide to Summary Dissolution in California
- Types of Divorce in California & Other Ways to End Your Marriage
- Video: How long will my divorce take?
- Video: How to Get a Divorce in California
Get the support you need at a price you can affordSee our software in action. Purchasing our Plus plan means you and your spouse get all the help you need throughout your entire divorce, and you can add on mediation hours if you need extra support. If you still have questions or need help deciding which plan is right for you, our experienced team is always available for a free call or online chat.
What happens when you purchase a Hello Divorce plan?
1. Access to the Divorce Navigator
2. E-meet your Account Coordinator
Upon receiving your forms, your account coordinator will get to work and reach out to start your filing.
3. Just Follow the Steps
Your account coordinator will let you know every step to take next and notify you of any court updates until your divorce is finalized.
Meet some of our Account Coordinators:
ShelleyDirector of Client Services
What are the Benefits of Summary Dissolution with Hello Divorce?
Stop feeling stuck
With Hello Divorce, you can finish the first part of your divorce in 5 minutes – with your forms ready to file and serve.
Can filling out divorce forms be ... relaxing?
We've cut out the confusion and inconvenience of court. Answer questions in plain language (no legal jargon here), then get all the court-approved divorce forms you need delivered to your inbox.
One-on-one support every step of the way
Unlike other online divorce options, real people have your back start to finish.
But why is it so inexpensive?
We leverage technology to get you through the most time-consuming part of divorce – all those forms. Why pay a lawyer to do that?
Bring us your mess
We can handle almost any divorce situation. Our expert team will map out the right divorce plan for you, and we have divorce professionals standing by to help.
What do our clients think about Hello Divorce?
Don't take it just from us. Find out what people who have gone through their divorce with Hello Divorce think about our process, our software, and life moving on to their next chapter. Then, give us a call to talk about how we can help you.
People love working with us in your state!
We’ve helped thousands of people navigate their divorce.
We’re here to make things easier.
Our experts know that making the choice to get divorced isn’t easy, so they’re here to support you no matter what.