Download: Response to Request for Child and Spousal Support

Wondering how to proceed if you have been served with a Request for Order? You will need to file an official Response. This is your opportunity to respond to your spouse or domestic partner's request for child custody, child support, spousal support, or help with their lawyer fees.

You will need to file a Response form. On it, you can state whether you consent to the requested order, do not consent, or do not consent to their request, but will consent to an alternate order. If you do not file and serve this form, the court may make the requested orders without your input.

For example, you can ask the court to change orders involving child custody and visitation, child or spousal support, or lawyer’s fees.  Depending on what you are asking for you may need to fill out further forms as well.  This is also the form to use if you need a temporary emergency order, where the emergency involves immediate danger or harm to you or your children.

It can be difficult to explain to the Court why you are for or against the orders that your ex is requesting. Find out how to put your best foot forward, including providing relevant and accurate reasons and supporting evidence for your position.

How to Complete a Response to a Request for Order

Divorce Specialists
After spending years in toxic and broken family law courts, and seeing that no one wins when “lawyer up,” we knew there was an opportunity to do and be better. We created Hello Divorce to the divorce process easier, affordable, and completely online. Our guiding principles are to make sure both spouses feel heard, supported, and set up for success as they move into their next chapter in life.